Tuesday, September 11, 2012

About Me

I am a stay at home Mom and I've decided to start a gluten free informational blog. I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in 1991. That's what I like to call "The Dark Ages of Gluten Free Information." There was so little information available to us at that time. The internet wasn't really available. There were very few companies making gluten free foods. Getting a meal in a restaurant was a big gamble because not only were there no gluten free menus, but even finding a chef who knew what gluten was, was rare. It was a lot of very plain, very boring pieces of chicken or steak and plain veggies. Yuck.

After living successfully gluten free for 21+ years, I have tried most of the gluten free foods on the shelves, bought many gluten free books, and eaten thousands of meals out.

Many newly diagnosed people are overwhelmed with the idea of a gluten free lifestyle. They see it as an impossible task and often "cheat" on their diet, resulting in getting sick. I feel that cheating is completely unnecessary and I've never purposefully eaten gluten since my diagnosis. I am quite aware that cross contamination happens, probably more than we would prefer, but it will sometimes. It isn't necessary to take the fun out of life and socialization by deciding that eating out at a restaurant isn't possible. Instead, you should take control of your life by arming yourself with knowledge. You are able to eat at one of the many restaurants that now offer gluten free menus. This is a wonderful thing for us. Also, many places may not have a gluten free menu specifically, but any chef worth his salt will know what gluten is and be able to make you a delicious meal that is safe. All you have to do is ASK!

I plan on reviewing products, new and old, and writing about my experiences good and bad eating out. I hope I can help someone navigate the gluten free lifestyle. I am not a doctor or nutritionist, but I do like to think of myself as a living expert on gluten free living and eating delicious foods.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulation ! As the son of a Celiac, thank your for sharing your knowledge, expertise and general good nature concerning Gluten Free living.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please tell me about gluten-free beer options! Signed, "A Friend"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to talk about gluten free beer options! there are so many! I will work on a page dedicated to that ASAP! :) To get you through: Redbridge is great and for a very light option New Grist. If you are looking for something a bit fancier, go for Hard Cider (all but Hornsby are GF) and St. Peters makes a gluten free beer that is spendy, but good! More to come on that!

    ReplyDelete