Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Harvester Beer

A wonderful reader read my page on gluten free beers and suggested a new one called Harvester. I was planning on asking my local health food store if they could try to get it in, since I've never heard of it before. My husband ran up to the store, and what a surprise: a big display of the new gluten free beer in stock: Harvester! Wonderful!

They have 4 selections and are brewed in Portland, OR in a dedicated gluten free brewery.
I was so excited to try these and I must say, they didn't disappoint!
The selections are:
IPA
Red Ale
Dark
Pale Ale

I think these are probably the closest gluten free beers have come to tasting like a traditional beer. They are a bit expensive, but the bottles are large and they satisfy the want of a "real" beer, so I think it makes them worth it.

The Pale Ale was very light and refreshing. Probably excellent for people like me who like a lighter option or for a hot summer day. The taste was so light that I almost couldn't taste anything when I had something a bit heavier first. I won't make that mistake again.

The IPA was slightly heavier and tasted great.

The Red Ale was much heavier and had more depth as well as a chocolatey taste. I enjoyed this beer, but couldn't have had more than one since it was a bit much for me in terms of taste.

The Dark Ale is a surprising favorite! It's much lighter than you might think with how dark the color is, but they brew with roasted chestnuts to create an amazing flavor that I love.

The also started doing seasonal brews, which you should keep an eye out for. I loved the Experiment Ale that was out most recently. It's a Dubbel dark style, I believe.

I highly recommend trying these beers! Thank you to the reader who suggested them! Much appreciated. I plan to go to the tasting room on my next trip to Portland, OR.
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment